Apple has today seeded iOS 5.1 beta for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch for developers. The update contains the fix for battery life issues and is available for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad 1, and iPod touch.
iOS 5.1 Beta Release Notes
iOS SDK 5.1 provides support for developing iOS applications and includes the complete set of Xcode tools, compilers, and frameworks for creating applications for iOS and Mac OS X. These tools include the Xcode IDE and the Instruments analysis tool among many others.
With this software you can develop applications that run on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 5.1. You can also test your applications using the included iOS Simulator, which supports iOS 5.1. There are two Xcode iOS SDK 5.1 images, one for installing on a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard) or later, the other for installing on a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion).
This version of iOS is intended only for installation on devices registered with Apple’s developer program. Attempting to install this version of iOS in an unauthorized manner could put your device in an unusable state.
For more information and additional support resources, visit:
Please report any bugs not mentioned in the “Introduction” section using the Apple Bug Reporter on the Apple Developer website (http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/). Additionally, you may discuss these issues and iOS SDK 5 in the Apple Developer Forums: http://devforums.apple.com. You can also access more information about iCloud for Developers at:http://developer.apple.com/icloud
Notes and Known Issues
The following issues relate to using the 5.1 SDK to develop code.
When creating an iCloud account, you can use any Apple ID as long as it is a full email address and not a MobileMe account. If you have a MobileMe account, you can move that account to iCloud. You can find more information at: http://me.com/move
NSNetServiceclass and CFNetService APIs do not include P2P interfaces by default. To browse, register, or resolve services over P2P interfaces, an application needs to use the Bonjour
DNSService*()APIs noted below.
- Setting the interfaceIndex parameter to
kDNSServiceInterfaceIndexAnyin the following API’s will not include P2P interfaces by default. To include P2P interfaces, you must now set the
kDNSServiceFlagsIncludeP2Pflag when using
kDNSServiceInterfaceIndexAnyor set the interfaceIndex to
kDNSServiceInterfaceIndexP2P. The affected APIs are:
App Icons and Profile Photos are not loading in apps using Game Center.
- Provisioning profiles must be enabled for iCloud in the iOS Provisioning Portal. You can enable a provisioning profile for iCloud by navigating to the App ID section of the iOS Provisioning Portal and configuring your App ID for iCloud. After enabling the App ID for iCloud, regenerate your provisioning profiles to enable them for iCloud.
NSMetadataQueryis not supported.
- In iOS 5, files that are protected via Data Protection cannot be used with iCloud Storage APIs.
- File names are case-insensitive in Mac OS X but case-sensitive in iOS. This can lead to problems when sharing files between the two using iCloud. You should take steps on iOS to avoid creating files whose names differ only by case.
Starting in iOS 5.0, in order to facilitate finer-grained playback control, a movie player is not automatically prepared to play upon creation. Call the
prepareToPlay method to prepare the movie player. For more information, see MPMoviePlayerController Class Reference.
Using shake-to-shuffle causes Music app to freeze and playback to stop.
FIXED: Deleting an issue that was marked as the currently reading issue could cause a crash.
In iOS 5, the signing of certificates with MD5 signatures is not supported. Please ensure that certificates use signature algorithms based on SHA1 or SHA2.
- Siri to Run on All iOS 5 Devices including, iPad, iPhone 3G, 3GS, iPod touch 4G, 3G, No Jailbreak Required
- iOS 5 For iPhone, iPad and iPod touch Released
- iOS 5 beta 7, iTunes 10.5 beta 7 and Xcode 4.2 beta 7 Available for Download
- How to Enable iOS 5 Autocorrect Keyboard Bar On iPhone 4S / 4, iPad 2/1, iPod touch [No Jailbreak Req.]
- iOS 5 beta 6, iTunes 10.5 beta 6 & Xcode 4.2 Preview 6 Released